Re: contrib/non-free policy

> From: Shaya Potter <spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
> > What the purpose of not including them.  Since they are not part of
> > Debian, we can say we are including them as a service to our users, not
> > because they are an official part of Debian.  It's like when you Buy a
> > video card, they might throw in some games, you're not buying the video
> > card for the games, but they throw it in, for 2 reason, 1) to show off
> > their video card, and 2) to make their video card stand out from the rest,
> > i.e. the "service" part.
>
> Part of the problem is that I would like to use Debian to help influence
> people to make their software free. If they make it able to be placed in
> contrib, and we always distribute contrib, what inducement do they have
> to make it free?

This is bumerang (sorry, I don't have correct spelling handy) situation.
You try to hit copyright holders and developers but finally the Debian
itself is hit by the lowering it's rating on the CD market.
Not saying is that it is immoral to put preassure on developers. They
already made their "creatures" available publically and just try to have
some control over them to prevent  someone's messing with their code.
And you are trying to say "no boys, you aren't good enough yet".

Not to mention that leaving software out of Debian CD is no preassure.

Thanks.

Alex Y.

P.S. What is the reason to have contrib/non-free division?
It should be single "unsupported" directory from your point of view then.

--
   _
 _( )_