Re: contrib/non-free policy

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:
> > I actually don't have a problem with people shrink-wrapping the Debian
> > Official 2-CD Set along with another CD that has non-free stuff. I've
> > discussed this with commercial software manufacturers who are thinking
> > of packaging Debian along with their product.
>
> From: Shaya Potter <spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
> > Bruce, can you also bring this up with the CD people.
>
> About a month ago I wrote this into the readme that is on all of the
> Official CD mirrors, and it has been there since then:
>
>     Of course, you can sell the Debian GNU/Linux 1.3.1 Official 2-CD
>     Set along with additional CDs. For example, you might fill a third
>     CD with value-added software intended to run on Debian, or you
>     might put the official CDs into an 8-CD-set of Linux CDs.
>
> Is that sufficient?

However, how many of them would read it if they are using the Official
images.

> I really think producing a "Supplement for Debian" CD is not a bad idea,
> and would welcome any group of maintainers who would be interested in
> doing it. You get our tacit approval and you support it on your own.
> You can sign licenses for gated (but don't sign them for Debian, sign
> them for yourself), you can make up whatever policies you want.

I'll make an image of the Stuff in Contrib+the Non-free stuff that can be
put on CD if people are willing to help me.  i.e. To set up a mirror, go
through non-free to see what can be put on CD.  I got the disk space, and
I may be able to finagle a Pentium II 266 (Me drooling :-) ) for the Linux
box in the next few weeks.

So if anyone wants to help, I'm all for it, but I don't have time to do it
on my own.

Thanks,

Shaya