Re: gated (contract or encouragement?)

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Bdale Garbee wrote:

>In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.970723042251.14126A-100000@beep.cs.huji.ac.il> you wrote:
>: As I see it, encourage gated to give us special redistribution
>: license
>
>Boris, I don't think any of us want a "special" license for gated.  We want
>the gated folk to "learn the error of their ways" and change the license for
>everyone.

The problem in this case is that the gated consortium wants the license
exactly to insure that the software stays free and that changes make it
back to them.

They are on our side. And we are fighting our friends and allies.

>Have you read the Debian Free Software Guidelines?  If so, I don't see how
>you could possibly assume Bruce would accept a special license for Debian.
>The guidelines make it clear that we don't consider that acceptable.

Maybe you should read the gated license?

Gated definitely is a big plus for Debian and is distributed in the spirit
of free software. We should support them and not fight them.