Re: Debian needs a "mentor" for new maintainers

> >     Fernando> The recent discussion about non-free/contrib made me
> >     Fernando> think that Debian needs a "mentor" for new
> >     Fernando> maintainers. The job of this person would be:
> >

> > You know, I've just recently become a developer (within the past 2
> > months), and I finally put the finishing touches on my first real
> > package -- gimp.
> >
> > I couldn't have done any of it without the help of *my* mentors over
> > on irc.linpeople.org in #Debian -- I really and truly believe that the
> > IRC way of training can't be beat.
> >
> > How about making #Debian official? I'd love to help new developers
> > learn about making packages, policy, and more.
> >
> > And who can help more than the developers themselves? :)
>
> Where is that resource (the irc channel) documented?

What I an Ben are proposing is that it should be documented.

> This is exactly why a "mentor" is needed. To point people to resources they
> may not be aware of. It is not meant to replace developers in helping new
> maintainers. As the organization (SPI/Debian) grows in complexity finding
> resources is starting to become a big problem.

That is very true, Debian Documentation project is working on making more docs
available for users and maintainers that would reduce the current problem.
However, I agree that it would be nice to have an "official" person who will
answer all newbie questions and point them to the right resources.

> And please be aware that some people's connectivity is not good enough for
> participating in something as resource-demanding as IRC.

Well, actually IRC is not resource-demanding at all.  It eats up minimal
bandwidth, but it might only be a problem for people who have to pay comm
charges by the minute.

> I would appreciate if you let me know more about this IRC channel.
> I will include in my proposed "new maintainers Guidelines" if you don't object.

The irc channel is now linked to 3 nets: linpeople, undernet and efnet.  Most
people hang around on linpeople, because it is fast and lag-free.

here are some linpeople servers.

irc.linpeople.org
lucas.linpeople.org
mccaffrey.linpeople.org
nimoy.linpeople.org (Europe)

Johhnie Ingram has also posted a "who is who" message about some regulars on
#debian.  You can find it in debian-user archives.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com