Re: new definition of non-free

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
>
> > On 24 Jul 1997, Guy Maor wrote:
> >
> > > I think there are a fair number of packages which are free, but depend
> > > or recommend non-free or non-US packages (for example all the programs
> > > that work with pgp).
> > >
> > > Whether we do decide to merge contrib into non-free, I really think we
> > > need another directory in non-free - copyrights, which contains the
> > > copyright files out of each package.  I can very easily do this
> > > automatically.  Even better is someone (Vitamin D obviously) would
> > > periodically review all those copyrights and summarize the
> > > restrictions in one file.
> >
> > As "non-US" packages may be free or not, the "copyrights" directory should
> > be added to the "non-US" section too. (more work for "Vitamin D"?)
>
> No, this makes things only more complicated. dselect can currently only
> handle one directory level for distributions (AFAIK). If we don't split
> non-us any further, it's possible to place it below hamm:
>
>        hamm/main
>        hamm/contrib
>        hamm/non-free
>        hamm/non-us
>
> This is _not_ possible if non-us has non-us/contrib and non-us/non-free
> subdirs.
>
> Also note, that non-us is _not_ considered as part of the main
> distribution. (For example, packages depending or recommending non-us
> packages will have to go into contrib--or non-free in the future).
>
> Since CD vendors have to check the licenses of non-us packages anyways
> and non-us has only 10 packages, it's not necessary to do any further
> sub-division.

I may have not explained it well...

I wasn't suggesting that we divided non-US in non-US/free and non-US/non-free
I just suggested that we added a copyrights directory as Guy was asking
for non-free+contrib.

As you've said, CD vendors have to check the licenses of non-us packages,
so it will be easier for them if we put those licenses in a different
directory.

> However, as I said it is very important that we create "stable" and
> "unstable" trees for non-us, too.

I agree.

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna