Re: new definition of non-free

> I think we might be doing the CD manufacturers a disservice by putting
> non-free stuff in the non-us directory - those who made CDs outside of
> the U.S. would have to sort the programs out on their own.

I agree.

We really ought to be able to come up with a way of not having non-us as a
visible part of the distribution.

non-us is something that is imposed on us by US laws, but if that were not the
case, these packages would just be part of the main distribution (or
contrib/non-free as appropriate).

So why don't we forget about non-us as a separate section, and then come up
with a way of providing the packages on sites outside the US, and masking them
out for the US sites.

This way CD-ROM manufacturers outside the US could just mirror a non-US ftp
server and burn a Debian-international disk.

I think I've worked out a reasonably simple way of doing this, but the
explanation is complicated and tedious --- rather than clogging up the list,
why don't we discuss this in private mail, or on a sub list (is there one for
ftp site administration ?).

Cheers, Phil.