Re: non-US and Vitamin-D/

> Not all the packages on non-US can be imported in.  There are patent
> violations on two - pgp-i and bzip.

True.  But I was thinking more in terms of use outside the US.  We might
need multiple different "official" releases to get around regulations
in various countries;  for example, I understand France prohibits encryption.
It might be nice to have different CD images for different languages/locales
too.  Of course I'm not suggesting that Bruce do all the work.  :-)

The key point is that the pool of Debian packages used to make up
"official" CD's should be allowed to include software that is illegal
in certain countries -- as long as it is legal in other countries,
and meets the DFSG rules.

> And US companies that want to sell CDs with some of the non-US stuff
> probably need proofs of citizenship.  I doubt any would go the hassle.

That's true.  But I could easily imagine a Canadian-based mail-order firm
that competes directly with CheapBytes and LSL - including PGP and other
crypto software would definitely be a competitive advantage.  Actually,
if someone did this, there would finally be relatively mainstream non-US
based OS being imported into the US that used encryption.  Then crypto
advocates would have a concrete example where US companies (LSL and
CheapBytes) were losing out to foreign competition due to US laws.

This would definitely create political pressure to change the crypto laws.
The US hates to lose.  :-)

Cheers,

 - Jim