Vitamin D

I have been reading the debate on non-free software and I agree with both
sides.  like Alex et al.  I'm interested in Debian as being a great system
that lets me get my work done not as some ideal.  On the other hand the
Debian ideals are supported by the people who make it happen and they have
demonstrated that their goals are practical and acheivable.  Vitamin D
sounds like a good compromise which will give both parties what they want.
I will volunteer for this as soon as someone tells me where to sign up.

One doubt in my mind is will a very strict seperation be possible?  For
example, one thing I am interested in packaging is Software AG's port of
DCOM for Linux.  (which by the way is about as non-free as you can get.)
One of the things it asks for is to create a user id for it.  Now I take
it blindly creating users on peoples systems is not a good idea no?  The
policy manual says in cases like this one should ask the co-ordinator for
this task to assign a uid from a fixed range.  Would Vitamin D share that
co-ordinator and range?  It would make more sense for a different range of
numbers to be reserved.  But that reservation has to go into Debian
policy.  Another example, right now we declare /usr/local to be off-limits
to official Debian packages.  So I suppose Vitamin D packages can go there
but then where is the space for truly local software?  It might be a
better idea to define /usr/opt or something as being the place for Vitamin
D packages.  Again this will have to go into Debian policy.

These are just a couple of things that occurred to me.  I'm sure others
can express this better but my point is Vitamin D cannot just be
cast adrift, there will have to be some co-ordination with the main
distribution or there will be chaos.

-- Jaldhar