Re: US software law (was Re: Packaging spice and xwave)

> Well, it turns out it doesn't qualify (he says you have to get approval
> to distribute specific binary versions). But he does have a license.

If you are referring to:

  ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/qmail/dist.html

I don't think that counts.  It relies on US law to grant permission to
compile, use and modify the software, so if you are living in a country that
has different laws you have no idea what rights:

 a) Dan intended to grant you

or

 b) You are entitled to by way of local law merged with his partial licence.

If you are referring to some other licence for qmail, please mail me a copy or
a reference.

It is really winding me up that I don't know if I even have the right to
uncompress qmail-1.01.tar.gz, let alone use it.   :-[

Cheers, Phil.