Re: next approach: new non-free/contrib policy

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> >No. Every piece of software that is put on ftp.debian.org (or related
> >sites) is considered as "distributed by the Debian Project/SPI". There is
> >no way to change this by adding a statement to the copyright file or
> >anywhere else.
>
> We have said again and again that non-free is not part of Debian.
> non-free does not have to conform to our copyright requirements. It must
> just be made available with consent from the authors. I do not think that
> we would have any problems getting such a permission from the gated
> consortium once someone signs it and takes responsibility.

Non-free may not be part of the "Debian System", but it is still
distributed BY Debian.

> >Debian will _not_ sign any contracts just to be allowed to distribute a
> >package (not even for "non-free"). This would be clearly against our
> >goals.
>
> I said nothing about Debian signing anything. It is certainly not
> against our goals to confirm that the changes we make are returned
> to the gated consortium and to keep it free. This would just confirm our
> goals.
>
> But we are talking here about someone else signing and taking
> responsibility for gated staying free software because the
> inflexibilitys of the Debian project leaders does not allow
> that.

Yes, but we don't want a distribution licence to be able to distribute
gated from Debian's servers, since if we have gated in non-free, then we
have no leverage to say that we want them to change the license.

> >However, the "Vitamin D" project could sign the license and distribute the
> >package on _their_ ftp servers (if Vitamin D-people agree--I don't know).
>
> If you see vitamin-d as taking over non-free and contrib and refuse to
> have non-free or contrib as we used to then you are changing the goals to
> which the debian project has committed itself in the social contract. We
> need a new vote on the social contract for such a radical change as you
> are proposing.

I've read at Bruce state several times already that he doesn't intend to
drop contrib or non-free as they currently are (or are revised to be) from
the ftp servers or the project, just that they won't be placed on the
"Official CD" image he builds.

- --
                       |       The bond that links your true family is not
    Scott K. Ellis     |      one of blood, but of respect and joy in each
    storm@gate.net     |         other's life. Rarely do members of one