Re: next approach: new non-free/contrib policy

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 sanvila@unex.es wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP DECRYPTED MESSAGE-----
> On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:
>
> > 4. non-free
> > ===========
> >
> > Every package in non-free must be freely distributable via our ftp server
> > and its mirrors in form of a `.deb' binary package.
>
> Strong objection: This is too restrictive, because there is no room for
> gnuplot and pine, which will have to be distributed as .orig+diff only.

I must admit the wording is not quite right and I don't know how to say
it better :-( I meant: we must be allowed to distribute the files we place
on our ftp server--that is, if we put a `.deb' there, we must be allowed
to distribute it, and if we put a `.diff+orig' there, we must be allowed
to distribute these files.

Of course, this should be known already, but some people here still think
that we may ship programs without a copyright statement, for example, we
is definitely illegal.

Note, that the actual policy text will be different anyways.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com