Re: next approach: new non-free/contrib policy

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> Nothing in what I said either explicitly or implicitly declared the above
> statement to have any relevance. Gene splicers don't make up the "whole
> world" either, but software that can't be used by Gene splicers is not
> considered to be Free Software

Yes it would. If the national gene splicers association ruled that it's
members weren't allowed to use some program, it doesn't stop the program
being free software. Only if the author of the software doesn't allow gene
splicers to use it is it non-free.

Similarly, if the US government ruled that it's citizens weren't allowed
to use some program, how does that stop the program being free? The author
is very happy for Americans to use it.