Re: summary of non-free/contrib policy

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

> So I think it is still important to make it clear that we consider
> the software to be free (by the DFSG) - but that it is still somewhat
> legally encumbered in the largest economic market in the world (the US).

But it seems like a better solution might be to have a file listing
all the packages that have particular characteristics, and then
provide simple scripts that will take this file as input, and the
desired exclusions, and then produce an CD image from a mirror.  This
file could also be used to drive a slightly modified mirror program.
Something like "make-cd --not non-us" or "debian-mirror --exclude
non-us".  (All this is just off the top of my head.  I'm sure there
are much better solutions.)

non-US:
  apache-ssl
  bzip