Re: next approach: new non-free/contrib policy

> The fact that MIT felt compelled to issue their warning is an admission
> that their license is not the only controlling document relevant to that
> particular piece of software. They recognise that the US laws also
> determine the distributablility of the program.

I think that's exactly the point -- US laws, after all, affect
everything done in the US :-) and that it is *redundant* for a license
to adopt a restriction that the law itself provides.  None of which
"invalidates the copyright" -- the only thing that can do that is
evidence of plagiarism or some such thing; the law only places further
restrictions *above and beyond* those in the license.

> License draws is authority from the copyright. The copyright does more
> than identify the author (even under the GPL). It is the copyright that

The copyright identifies *who* has the rights provided by the Berne
Convention.  The license expresses what they intend to *do* with those
rights.  As I said, the distinction is important.  If you find people
who are confused about the difference, please help make the world a
better place by educating them :-)

(Hmm, this reminds me of the confusion between "authentication" and
"authorization" in security systems... the difference is clear, and
important, important enough that being confused about it has led to
insecure software...)