Re: There are _TWO_ discussions here

> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
>
> > The non-us master server (os.inf.tu-dresden.de) could "merge" the
> > US-distribution (from master.debian.org) and the non-US distribution.
>
> I'm in favor of such a solution.
>
> Guy

I'm not.  I'm hosting the only North American mirror of non-US - but
I don't have enough disk space or bandwidth to mirror a merged
distribution.  Dpkg (and the other programs) currently have excellent
support for merging multiple distributions from different locations
together.

It might be desirable to have them merged on the official non-US
CD image though.

A much more productive effort would be to have an on-line list of
mirrors available somewhere that the dpkg-ftp access method could
retrieve so that the users could easily select a mirror site.  This
would make retrieving from multiple distributions simple.  As an
added bonus - we could easily implement dynamic load balancing too.

Cheers,

 - Jim