Font compression and supporting commercial software

Alex,

The social contract says "We will support our users who develop and run
non-free software on Debian". It does _not_ say we will _freeze_ the
system for them.

To support them, we should warn the developers if we know a change we
are marking will break their software, and we should tell them how to
fix it. We should also not make such changes gratuitously. In addition,
we should support them by making our unreleased prototype system
available for them to run, and for them to look at the source code.
Of course, we already do this.

I would like Debian to use font compression, even if this temporarily
breaks some commercial X servers. By switching to compressed fonts we
do not _permanently_ break those servers - we only give the commercial
vendors something to catch up with, and we can warn them when we do it.
I'm sure XI Graphics (formerly X-Inside) would make their system understand
compressed fonts if we requested it. Metroworks would probably do so as
well. If the code has been in XFree86 for a year, they may already have
included it in their systems. Users who want to support legacy servers can
uncompress the fonts on their own, but if they don't have support for their
commercial servers they might do better by running XFree86.

	Thanks

	Bruce

I'm
--
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html