Re: There are _TWO_ discussions here

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de>
> > Right. It would be good if Bruce would tell us what he thinks about this.
>
> Any software that complies with the Guidelines can go on the CD, whether
> or not it has fully-supported status. Where to put it is not clear - I
> thought about bo/unsupported, but probably moving 6 packages from contrib
> to non-free is a better idea.
>
> > I think everybody should consider that makeing "contrib=DFSG" will just
> > move only six (6) packages to non-free--that's all. (Are these 6 packages
> > really worth this discussion? We should better spend our time on more
> > important things.)
>
> What 6 packages? Everything else has source?

I just sorted the packages from my last posting to give more info about
that. (Please note, that I didn't spend much time into interpreting the
details of the licenses, so some packages might be in the wrong section.)
Also note, that the "6 packages" are currently only 4 :-) since I put two
of them in the "to be removed section" now.

Here you go:

----- Packages without a clear license (has to be clarified or the
----- packages have to be removed)

devel/java-cup_0.10b-2.deb
devel/swig_1.1.b5.p2-1.deb
sound/xgmod_3.0.5-1.deb
utils/ferret_1.2.1-1.deb

----- Packages which have to be moved to non-free as of current policy:

devel/mysql-manual_0.80-1.deb
editors/nedit-?motif_4.0.3-1.deb
games/koules_1.3-2.deb
games/squake_1.07-1.0-3.deb
interpreters/swi-prolog_2.8.2-1.deb
math/xephem-smotif_3.0-1.deb
net/filerunner_2.2.1-1.deb
otherosfs/picasm_1.5-2.deb
x11/xforms*

----- Packages that are DFSG free and might go to main?

admin/logwrites_1.1-3.deb
sound/splay_0.5-2.deb
utils/compress-package_1.3-1.deb
utils/xosview_1.3.2-6.deb

----- non-DFSG packages in contrib, that will be moved to non-free if we
----- change policy (these 4 are the `famous 6 packages' :)

admin/npasswd-boulder_1.2.2-2.deb
net/circus_0.43-1.deb
shells/pash_2.2-1.deb
text/acroread_3.0-1.deb

----- DFSG compliant packages--these are fine in contrib

devel/ddd-dmotif*_2.1.1-2.deb
devel/kaffe_0.7.1-2.deb
devel/libkde0-dev_0.10.01-1.deb
devel/libkde0.9.00-dev_0.9.00-1.deb
games/abuse_2.00-1.deb
graphics/gimp-?motif_0.54.1-6.deb
graphics/gimp-plugins_1.0-1.deb
graphics/xtrkcad_1.2.0-1.deb
libs/libkde0.9.00_0.9.00-1.deb
libs/libkde0_0.10.01-1.deb
mail/pinepgp_2.1.deb
math/xldlas_0.85-1.deb
net/ftpwatch_1.2.deb
net/mrtg_2.2-1.deb
net/xirc_2.0-1.deb
net/xisp_2.1-1.deb
sound/festvox-{8,16}k_1-1.deb
text/lyx_0.10.7-3.deb
utils/xtar-?motif_1.4-2.deb
x11/kdeapps_0.10.01-2.deb
x11/metrox_3.1.2-1.deb

Please: Don't take any actions on this material. If we have decided on a
new policy, I'll check the licenses again with more care and file
non-maintainer bug reports for the packages in the wrong sections.

Anyways, since there are only 4 packages to be moved, I really don't see a
problem with changing the policy, to make all packages in contrib apply to
the DFSG too.

Comments? (I'm sure there will be comment :-)

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/