Re: Font compression and supporting commercial software

From: Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu>
> What I was talking about is that it might be a good move to release
> Xfree86-3.3 fonts compressed rather than gziped into _contrib_.

OK, now your intent is more clear.

Well, I guess it's OK to do that.  But before you go to the trouble of
producing a converter package, you might try to find out how many
people need it. I suspect that many of those who have commercial X
servers got fonts with them, and might not be installing our fonts.
Also, is simply writing down a procedure for these users to go through
sufficient?

Regarding whether I want to make a change that will enrich commercial
software manufacturers who will then sell upgrades to match that change,
I don't mind. I didn't make the change deliberately to do that, and there
is a free software alternative available. It is also possible for these
people to unocompress fonts after extracting our packages. The very best VGA
card that I can find has 4MB RAM and accellerated Open GL, and sells for $250.
As far as I can tell, that one is supported by free software. I don't see that
people are tied to commercial software by their VGA card.

	Thanks

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@pixar.com   510-215-3502