Re: slowing down point releases

Jim Pick wrote:

> FWIW, I'm working on a little utility that will do a "diff" between
> two versions of a .deb file.

> I'm thinking of developing a simple HTTP-based protocol that will
> use this capability to only transfer the differences between
> subsequent versions of ".deb" files.  Hopefully, for people mirroring
> the Debian distribution, this would cut down the amount of data that
> must be transferred by 90% or so (just a guess).  It might be
> possible to build it into a "dpkg-ftp" style Access method as well.

As an extension of this idea, I'd like to see "patchkits":

  Take all of your package diffs ("patches") for the packages that
  are changed between 1.3.0 and 1.3.1.  Bundle them together in a
  script that extracts itself and applies the diffs to any updated
  packages that are currently installed.

This would increase the value of the 1.3.0 CD's, since the user need
only download one file (the patchkit) and execute it to upgrade his
system to 1.3.1.  Each point release has a patchkit, so

   1.3.0-1.3.1 is patchkit1
   1.3.0-1.3.2 is patchkit2

etc..

What do you think?