Re: possibility of Debian site at Netcom UK

Please forward this to Nick. I will make an announcement about this as
well.

	Thanks

	Bruce

                Software in the Public Interest
         Call for Donation of Internet Hosting Services

Software in the Public Interest is the non-profit organization that
produces the Debian GNU/Linux system. We find ourselves in need of some
Internet hosting services, and solicit their donation.

1. Developer's Master System

This is the "master" version of our FTP archive. The developers upload
to it, perform various system maintainance tasks such as compilation of
programs, and a few "primary" FTP mirror sites mirror it nightly. Our
other 75 mirror sites mirror the "primary" ones. We need T1-equivalent
bandwidth to internet, about 7GB disk, at least a 486 processor, and at
least 32MB RAM. The system must run Debian 1.3 . We can restrict the
time in which we use large portions of your bandwidth so that it is
outside of your regular business hours.  We need to have the root
password for this system, and we will perform most system
administration tasks except for backups.  Because of the security
implications, you may prefer to site this system outside of your
firewall.

This system was until recently provided by I-Connect, which is going
through a business change. We had a "hot standby" at Novare
International, which is currently functioning as the master system.
Your donation would either become the master system or the hot
standby.

2. Webmaster's Master System

This task is currently happening on the "master" system, but we would
like to decentralize. This is the master copy of our web site. The
actual web pages are served by several different mirror systems, but
the CGI scripts execute on this system directly. We need T1-equivalent
bandwidth to internet, about 4GB disk (including a local mirror of our
FTP archive) and at least 32MB RAM. The system must run Debian 1.3 . We
can restrict the time in which we use large portions of your bandwidth
so that it is outside of your regular business hours. We need the
ability to manage the web server and the CGI scripts. Because of the
security implications, you may prefer to site this system outside of
your firewall.

3. Mailing List Services

We operate a mailing list system with 218,000 deliveries per day.  We
need to install our own mail delivery agent for the list (Qmail or Exim
are fine, others are probably too slow), and we need some of mailer
configuration which we can provide or you can perform if you don't want
to give out the root password. This system requires T1-equivalent
bandwidth to the net, and at least a 486 with 32MB RAM and 1GB disk.
The system must run Unix or Linux. We are currently operating the
primary list server on the same machine as the Developer's Master
System, and would like to decentralize. We also run a hot-standby for
this system. The actual net bandwidth used by the system is bursty, and
generally much less than T1-equivalent. It runs 150 deliveries
concurrently and spends much of its time waiting for other SMTP servers
to respond.

If you have any questions, please respond to me at <bruce@pixar.com>

	Many Thanks

	Bruce Perens
	Debian Project Leader
--
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html