2nd RFC: libc5-libc6 mini-howto

Since a large number of questions have been coming up on debian-user about
installing hamm packages into a v1.3.x based system, and since I seem to
have come up with the most complete list of how to do it and not break
anything, I'd like to offer the following message for comment, and once we
iron it out, post it to debian-user and debian-devel regularly during the
period until the release of hamm.  This is the second time I'm posting this
to debian-private, I've noted changes from the first posting.  If I don't
hear anything negative, I'll post this to debian-user and debian-devel in a
day or two.

Debian 1.3.x to Debian-unstable (codename hamm) guide

Changes
- -------
* added note about /usr/bin/gencat being in libc6-dev and man-db
* removed ncurses3.0, ncurses-base, and ncurses-bin from required list
* moved ncurses3.4 above libreadlineg2
- -------

The Debian project is currently in the process of putting together the next
release of the Debian system.  This version will utilize the new libc6, a
replacement for the prior libc5 which includes many enhancements and brings
the linux C library back into sync with the GNU project.  We are doing this
in a way to allow you to continue to utilize your older software by
providing development and operating environments for both C libraries.
However, all packages in the new release will be linked with the new C
library.  This has made it slightly more difficult to install packages from
the unstable branch of our development tree into a working system.  There is
a slight possibility of making your system unbootable in the process, this
guide is intended to help you avoid such problems.

The minimum list of packages to install to be able to run unstable-branch
packages is below.  Install these packages one at a time in exactly the
order listed.  When versions are mentioned, that is a minimum suggested
version, any later version should also be acceptable.

libc6_2.0.4-1
ldso_1.9.5-1
libreadline2_2.1-2.1
ncurses3.4_1.9.9g-3
libreadlineg2_2.1-2.1
bash_2.01-0.1

If you wish to do libc6 development, you should first purge all the -dev
packages on your system, the new development system will use packages with
the suffix '-dev' for libc6 development and '-altdev' for libc5 development.
You will wish to install the latest libc5 package, and altgcc if you wish
continue to do libc5 development as well.  Some libraries haven't been
recompiled for the new libc6 yet, check that all your vital libraries are
available before upgrading.  Linking libc5-based libraries with libc6-based
programs will have unpredictable results.

Note also that both the man-db and the libc6-dev packages currently include
/usr/bin/gencat.  The version of gencat in libc6-dev has been reported to
cause segfault problems with man-db, you may wish to reinstall man-db after
libc6-dev if you experience these problems.

- --
                       |        Your friends will know you better in the
    Scott K. Ellis     |     first minute you meet than your acquaintances
    storm@gate.net     |           will know you in a thousand years.