Re: Release of 1.3.2?

Syrus and everyone,

Right now there are several serious security updates in there, unless
I am mistaken.  The worst of which is ld.so.  And BTW, isn't it
correct that nothing but security or stability fixes whould be allowed
into stable in the first place?

I have no problem with slowing down the point releases somewhat.  But
there are large problems with eliminating them altogether:

 * Users that do not track debian-private or the Security webpage
   will get a false impression of Debian as an insecure system.
 * Updates cannot be integrated into dselect automatically;
   those people that want the latest security/stability fixes
   must FTP and dpkg -i them manually.  This is very bad for
   large networks.  One of the advantages of dselect is easy
   upgrading.  It is very time consuming to go around to 20
   machines, figure out which packages are on them and which
   need upgrading, then FTP and dpkg -i them all manually.

If we are not going to make any more point releases (which is a bad
idea anyway), we should at least make the bo-updates directory
available in the standard archive hierarchy (complete with Packages
file, etc). and have a symlink stable-updates -> bo-updates.  This
will allow people to at least integrate it into dselect, fixing some
of the problems.

As for CD-ROMs...  Most vendors didn't track the point releases with
1.2.x anyway, so I don't think it matters one way or the other.  Maybe
one or two images per major release.

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu> writes:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
>
> > I thought that making next point release with new CD image is worth
> > when "updates" directory becomes too "full" to be able to download
> > everything from there without big trouble.
>
> I disagree.  As long as the updates are not considered to be essential for
> security or stability, we should not make a point release.  However, I
> don't want another extended discussion about this on private.  I suggest
> that people either accept Bruce's executive decision or request a vote of
> the interested developers/maintainers.
>
> Thanks.  Syrus.
>
> --

John Goerzen          | Running Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Do YOU need more Speed, Power, and Reliability?
jgoerzen@complete.org | Check out http://www.debian.org NOW!
Notice: You may purchase the right to send me unsolicited commercial e-mail
("spam") for the fee of $500 (USD) per message.  Billing can be either
pre-arranged or can occur automatically after the reception of a spam.
Failure to pay will be treated in accordance to US Code, title 47, sec. 227,
which allows unsolicited e-mail to be punishable by action to recover actual
monetary loss or $500, whichever is greater, per violation.  Sending spam
to me without payment constitutes unauthorized access to my mail daemon,
which is in violation of federal law.