Re: Release-numbering change proposal

From: Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu>
> Someone can currently add bo-updates to the official CD and call it
> "1.3.1 + Updates 8/14/97".

That's fine.

> This is almost the same as what you want, except for the main tree and
> the symlink tree.  I found them to be a source of much confusion for
> users, a hassle to maintain, and having very marginal returns.  I also
> think the regularly timed updates are very important.

It's OK to do it without the symlinks. However, I think the naming
scheme is important. Shorten it to 1.3.1_r1 if you want, but somewhere
it should say "This is Debian 1.3.1 Revision 1".

Regarding timed releases, I'm not sure we have much to release other
than security fixes before 2.0 .

	Thanks

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   510-215-3502