Final post to debian-private

Hi guys,

I'm just writing to say that I am no longer going to use the debian-private
mailing list to communicate with the other developers in the Debian project.

Why?  Well, I was recently chastised (and rightly so) for mentioning in an
e-mail to debian-user that a debate was ongoing in debian-private w.r.t.
testing
and release-numbering.

The fact that this list is a 'private' one makes it extremely difficult to
refer
a non-developer to any debate that happened here.  If I explain to a client
'why'
something is the way it is in the Debian system -- many times I may be
violating
the supposed confidentiality of the topics discussed on this list.

Far too much discussion goes on using this list that could really be handled
out
in the open using lists such as debian-policy and debian-devel.  In particular,
Bruce seems to favour this list to hand down decisions.

Essentially, to a standard user, debian-private is a "private club" for the
'elite' class of Debian developers.  They have no access to the discussions and
decisions we make that affect them directly.  In essence, the users have no
ownership of the system they use.  Imagine that you lived in a country where
all laws and political debate happened behind closed doors with no public
records.  IMHO, this totally stinks.

I spend much more of my time 'using' the system, rather than 'developing' for
it.  Plus I advocate the use of the system to people I know.  So I'm going to
side with the users on this one.  The system would be more self-supporting
if people could refer to public debate about various issues.

I further contend that the Debian project could function perfectly well
without
the debian-private mailing list.

I will continue to monitor the mailing list since this is where many
announcements are made.  And I will respond via private e-mail when I feel
I need to make my voice heard.

If you want my participation in any policy decisions in the future, please
discuss
it on debian-policy or debian-devel - not here.

(I'm not bitter or anything - I'm just taking a little bit of personal action)

Cheers,

 - Jim

p.s.  I will do replies for this thread.