Compatibility meeting

Please don't disclose this for now. We will make a press release soon with
all of the companies and organizations involved speaking as one.

I attended an i386 ABI summit today. Linus Torvalds and the leaders of
Caldera (Brian Sparks), Red Hat (Mark Ewing), Debian (me), and SCO
(didn't get his name but he's a co-founder) were there, as well as a
number of people from Intel, DEC, Sun, NetBSD, and SCO. We decided that
our organizations would support a reference platform based on a subset
of LIBC 6 and the ELF executable format and shared libraries.  This is
not a formal specification but an actual running system and all of its
source code.  SCO, Caldera, Red Hat, Debian, and probably the various
BSDs would produce systems that would run applications that run on the
reference platform.

We're going to be talking over the details for a while. This is just the
start of what will probably grow into a larger standard.

Linus and I are both optimistic that this could actually work.

Again, please don't disclose this, wait for the press release.

	Thanks

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   510-215-3502