Getting root on Linux

Somebody has pointed out to me a serious security hole that allows anybody
with physical access to a Linux machine to easily gain root.

This is how it is done:

1. Reboot the machine.  Ctrl-Alt-Del from a text console will do.
2. At LILO prompt, press shift
3. Type: Linux init=/bin/bash
   and press Enter.

You now have a root shell.

This can be very dangerous for anybody running a Linux lab.

I really don't see the need for the init option -- it should probably be
removed anyway.

Since every Linux distribution I have seen ships in this dangerous state,
this can be quite a problem.