Re: Denial-of-service attack against INETD. Redhat 4.X and others...

 > I recently discovered a problem with the "inetd" running on RedHat
 > Linux version 4.x that makes all services launched from inetd vulnerable
 > to a denial-of-service attack.  I obtained a copy of the inetd
 > source code, made changes to fix the problem, and am hereby releasing
 > those changes back to the public.

Because you decided to reformat and reindent the code, I can't find
the significant parts of your changes among the noise.

 > I have implemented changes to the inetd program that address this
 > problem, as follows:  The program still limits the number of services
 > that will be launched within a 60 second window, but it does so by
 > refusing to "accept()" new connections too rapidly.  The listening
 > socket is never closed, and users never get a "Connection refused"
 > error.  They just see a slower response.

Um, have you actually tried this? If you make these changes, and then
connect-bomb a service, you'll still get ECONNREFUSED when the
listen() queue fills.

 > In the course of making this change, I discovered and fixed another
 > small problem with inetd.  It used to be that inetd would sleep
 > (ignoring all connection attempts) for one second after receiving
 > any signal.

I cannot find either this problem or your supposed fix for it.

 > The source code that I modified was obtained from the NetKit-B-0.08
 > package.

This is "only" a year out of date. The current version of inetd can be
found in "netkit-base-0.10" on your favorite ftp site.

--
   - David A. Holland          | Number of words in the English language that
     dholland@eecs.harvard.edu | exist because of typos or misreadings: 381