Re: Root vulnerabilities in Linux

[stuff about debian mbr deleted]

> Why does Debian default to doing this anyway?  I'd say that 99% of people
> have no need for it, and those that do would certainly know that they need
> it....

I'd guess that it is because the alternative of putting lilo on the disk's mbr
results in people not being able to subsequently use the disk for DOS unless
they find out about FDISK /MBR (which is not documented AFAIK)

So newbies get the impression that lilo has trashed their disk (because it
keeps saying LILO, no matter how often they install DOS), and they get very
upset about it.

> Now the question is: how do I get it off of these Debian machines?

In you /etc/lilo.conf, set `boot' to be the disk rather than the partition.
So for example:

  boot=/dev/hda1

becomes

  boot=/dev/hda

and re-run lilo.  That installs lilo on the disk's master boot record,
overwriting mbr.

This is probably another hint for the Paranoia-HOWTO.

Cheers, Phil.