Re: Root vulnerabilities in Linux

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Philip Hands wrote:

> > Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't it possible to just leave the
> > "default" MBR on there & mark the Debian root partition as bootable?
> > Then control will go to the Debian partition on boot, which will
> > happen to contain LILO.  Wouldn't that be the ideal solution?
>
> Yes, except AFAIK you need either lilo or mbr on the first disk to do fun
> stuff like booting off of the second disk, or from an extended partition, so
> you loose some functionality by using the original MBR.
>
> Also, I presume the original MBR is not freeware, so we cannot ship it, so
> when starting with a disk that has had the original MBR removed for some
> reason, what should we do ?

Mmmmm, I'm not sure about the boot-on-second-disk issue, but i personally
dont like the debian MBR at all. I think it is confusing - first time i
saw this 1FA think i thought huh ? whats that ? and i was like looking in
my bios manuals and going mad like, shit, they didnt documented this error
code, what happens ? :>

So personally i think it's confusing and it duplicates some LILO
functionalityes. I think it would be reasonable for the mbr package to ask
if it should install an intelligent mbr with this prompt thing (this way
new users would at least be informed about this mbr functionlity), or a
dumb one that never asks - it would be my personal preference because I
dont like this duplication of functionality with lilo, and if i had to
boot on my second drive i'd rather install lilo as the mbr of the first
disk than use the current debian mbr.

Or better yet, the mbr package should ask if we want to install the
current mbr-with-menus, or another mbr that would be able to
unconditionally boot always on the same disk - this way we could put LILO
on the partition we want to, even if its not on the first drive.

If people think this is a good idea, I would volunteer for writing this
little pieces of code. Boot sectors are easy, and i like them :>

Michel "Walken" LESPINASSE - Student at Ecole Centrale Paris (France)
           www               Email : walken@via.ecp.fr
          (o o)              VideoLan project : http://videolan.via.ecp.fr/
During this summer, please contact me at walken@foxfiber.com instead...