Re: remote mail access on master

Hi,
>>"Clint" == Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> writes:

>> Mayhap using them as a maildrop is not quite the thing to do?

Clint> I'm confounded.  Mail is going from lists.debian.org, which is
Clint> debian.novare.net, to schizo@debian.org, which is at
Clint> debian.novare.net. Mail is also going from bugs.debian.org,
Clint> which is debian.novare.net, to schizo@debian.org, which is at
Clint> debian.novare.net

Clint> Then, through whatever method, this mail travels from
Clint> debian.novare.net to me (hopefully).  Please explain to me how
Clint> forwarding creates less of a load or less traffic for novare
Clint> than POP or IMAP.

	Traffic? maybe not. Load? and additional server process is
 required, and has to listen to client requests. Are you arguing that
 POP service is essentially loadless? Also, POP/IMAP have additional
 capabilities compared to pure mail forwarding.

	A forwarding process also need not do locking of the mail
 spool, etc. We *are* talking about a system with over 200 user
 accounts, I was just remembering the load that the mail/POP server
 ran into at my previous employer (a public university).

	I was also concerned about an alternative offered, which was
 reading and replying to mail on the master machine. Interactive
 sessions definitely do load a machine down.

	As I said, quite diffidently, and, I hope, politely, that I
 speak here because I do not wish us to overstay our welcome at
 novare.

	manoj
--
 "So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing,
 even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about