Re: [linux-security] Announce: chkexploit 1.13 (fwd)

> On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, joost witteveen wrote:
> > > 	Hmmm... What about users being able to copy suid shells from other
> > > users to /tmp and use them from there?
> > Nothing about that. Try it, and see the owner change:
> .... deleted ...

> 	Hmmm, let me explain better telling you a story. Imagine one has
> a script that other people use everyday, one day He wants to get acess to
> some accounts so, he adds lines like these to the script:
>
> 	cp /usr/bin/sh /tmp/.sh.`whoami`
> 	chmod 4555 /tmp/.sh.`whoami`

Uhm, "He" is able to change scripts that those users run? Then eighter:
 - He = root, in which case He doesn't need to go through all the trouble
   you describe above
 - He != root, and obviously He shouldn't be able to write to directories
   the users have in their paths. If a user explicitly adds a directory
   He can write to to their path, that means those users trust Him.

There's nothing like a security bug in there, that problem will exist
on _every_ system (well, as long as one user is able to run scripts
created/owned by another user. But I'm sure that holds for just about
every system).

What you describe is more "social" enginering: trying to trick other users
into running unsafe commands. A popular way to do that is to put
commands like "sl" in /tmp, in the hope a user mistypes "ls" while
he's in /tmp, and has "." in their path. But that doesn't relate to
"debian security problems".

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj