What? When? Who?

Hello,

What is Debian?  A philosophy, perhaps.  However, its only software
product is a fancy install/config/maintain/remove system.  Now we have a
proposal that says we'll rewrite 'Debian' as a version 2.0 however, it
has nothing to do with 'Debian' nor does 'Debian' have any right of
claim on this work.  Are we disbanding?  Or are we just a bunch of
packaging sheep?  No, Diety is the core future of the project.  The OS
isn't 'Debian' the packaged applications aren't 'Debian'  Debian is just
facilitating applications.

Since it is the core furture of the project, then it needs _goals_,
including dates, just like any other release.  So what if it's not the
next release.  It will be a release.  Pre-Diety --> Diety _and_ libc5
--> libc6 seems a pretty big step for one release.  However, that was
the concensus.  This does nothing to remove the need of goals and
managed expectations.

Finally, I would suggest that Noise = Momentum. The collective mind
worked best in giving input when all other input was available.
'Debian' has had _many_ decisions that were not unanimous.  Many may not
have had a majority backing.  However, when a capable leader recognizes
the valid arguments and makes a decision, 'Debian' moves on.  There is
no reason this model could not be followed by those who are doing the
'real' work on Diety.  I would guess that all input, useful or not, has
dropped to < 1% since the process has been made incrementally visible.

Whatever -- Greg.

PS  Does anyone have the mail archives on the creation of Diety?

If Diety decides to move on, then they should probably reword the
following quote
© Copyright 1996, 1997, Debian/Deity project. All rights reserved.
Written by: Behan Webster <behanw@pobox.com>

from
http://www.verisim.com/~behanw/deity/deity-ui_0.10.html
--
What do you want to spend today?
Debian GNU/Linux  (Free for an UNLIMITED time)