Re: Can I interest anyone in RPM?

my personal goals for debian are :
 - make it a very good distribution, as good as possible.
 - make it a base plattform for other distributions.

why do people make distributions ?
in the beginning, there was sls. then we got slackware, and it was much
bigger and better. but slackware had many many bugs, and nobody fixed
them. many companies wanted to sell linux and offer support for linux.
they faced slackware and the only chance they had was to make their own
distribution, because they needed that bugs are fixed. so everyone
created his own distribution, and that continues till today.

my vision is, that in some time, people will say : "hey, making a
distribution is a lot of work. we all do this work, we all reinvent the
wheel any time we encounter a problem". and then they will think about
it, and search for a way to get rid of the work of making a
distribution. they will search and find a base distribution and will
switch to makeing a value added distribution and do support.

i want to make debian the base distribution of choice. and i will go
miles to make this happen, help other distributions etc. and thats why i
don't see other distributions as competitor, i see them as to be
partners. (a german distribution costs 80 dm (50 $), and has cdroms,
a book and 60 days free supprt - they don't sell distributions, they
sell books and support (and include the distribution, so they have
something to support).

we should not sit here, and watch others, we should walkt toward them,
should help them. rpm is one essential step in that direction.

but the second thing is the timing and the way we do it.
debian is not known for speed or good release dates. debian is known, to
be late in some thing, but when we do it, we do it the right way, and we
do it as whole, and not stop after the half way.

we should not step to rpm now. we need a project team taht will take
rpm, and build a new and improved version of rpm, inc ooperation with
redhat and other distributions, so we loose only a minimum of features,
and gain a maximum.

and yes, we should convert to rpm as soon as it makes sence. i don't
know much about rpm, but rpm is not perfekt (redhats marketing might
have a different opinion :-), and i know that other distributions like
lst/caldera(de) and others also have some problems with rpm.

start a project now, to get a new version of rpm, so we can switch to
rpm without loss (or only a minimum loss).

todo :
 - compare dpkg and rpm. what are the features. where do they differ.
   can we extend rpm to use a debian style of building ?
 - try to cooperate with other distributions
 - work on a new version of rpm (a merge of debian and redhat features)
 - maybe add new features

it's to soon too switch to rpm. but our work has to start now, or it
could be too late when we finished work.

decision for rpm now ! switch to rpm as soon as possible !
make debian the best distribution and the base distribution of choice !

andreas