Re: Can I interest anyone in RPM?

> I fully support this point. Even if Debian would change to RPM, it would
> still require us to install our own Debian-RPMs, since Debian uses a
> different setup in /etc and some other places. Also, for supporting
> something, it'd be better, if we knew which package we're talking about -
> I mean, what are you going to do if someone comes along telling you about
> various problems when upgrading to libc6.0 via some RPM and only weeks
> (and several very confused email messages) later, you find out that the
> guy installed a SUSE libc6 package - instead of yours. The user might not
> even be aware of that...

don't see it as a problem. see it as a big chance. there are even now
users, that can use alien to convert sysvinit.rpm to .deb and install
it. before there was rpm, they got the source and compiled and installed
it. this is not a new problem.

but with new users, we will get more problems. but also other
distributions. and there will be a point, when they think :
"hmm. we invest a lot of work in this distribution. we don't need to do
so. we could use an existing distribution, fix bugs and create only a
value added distribution. anyway : we earn our money not with the
distribution, but with support. lets look, if we can move to use a base
distribution..."

and i want debian to make the best distribution, and the base distribution
of choice. switiching to rpm is 90% marketing and 10% new features
(did you read the "suse switched to rpm" thread in de.comp.os.linux.* ?).

it is very important that we switch to rpm.

lets create a new and improved version of rpm (maybe by merging rpm and
deb). it may look like deb, taste like deb and work like deb. but it
must have the name "rpm" and all distributions must use it.

switch to rpm ! make debian the best distribution and the base
distribution of choice !

andreas