Re: Helmut Geyer, where are you?

[moved to debian-private]

Galen Hazelwood wrote:
> [...]
> I was about to do a non-maintainer release, until I read that note
> which said I need 200 Meg of free space to build the damn thing (I had about
> 100M, and thought I was home free... :O ).

Since I do have 200 MB of free space, I fetched the glibc sources to see
if I could build them here.  However, I ran into a puzzle.  The glibc on
master includes the "crypt" add-on, and the libc6 binary package installs
libcrypt.

The README in glibc says:
  Users outside the USA can get the crypt distribution via anonymous FTP
  from ftp.ifi.uio.no [129.240.64.21], or another archive site outside
  the USA.  Archive maintainers are encouraged to copy this distribution
  to their archives outside the USA.  Please get it from ftp.ifi.uio.no;
  transferring this distribution from prep.ai.mit.edu (or any other site
  in the USA) to a site outside the USA is in violation of US export
  laws.

So what is the crypt code doing on master?  Is there a policy
exception for libc6?

Richard Braakman