Re: Can I interest anyone in RPM?

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Joey Hess wrote:

> Bruce Perens wrote:
> > The fact that we're the only distribution left with its own package
> > system is an important issue.
>
> Um, we are? Last I checked, slackware was still the most common
> distribution. And yes, it does have it's own package system.
>
> So I see the big 3 distributions, redhat, debian, and slackware, each with
> their own package system.
>
>From the numbers that I have been hearing, while Redhat still manages the
lion's share of the market, Debian takes most of the rest of the market,
with Slackware a distant third. So, your ordering of the three
distributions _is_ by current market share. (Note: Redhat now includes
SuSE, as well as Caldera)

Redhat has the lion's share because of aggressive marketing for commercial
gains. We have made impressive inroads into that market place without the
financial intervention of aggressive marketing. Should we continue to try
to penetrate this market? Certainly! Should we do it by following the
leader? Absolutely not! Not even if their product is technically better
than ours. Which it isn't. (We should improve our product 'til it exceeds
theirs.)

We _are_ more than our packaging system, but that packaging system
embodies Debian's sofware philosophy, while RPM is the embodiment of a
commercial philosophy.

I still say wait for them to come to us. (Or at least wait for their
customers to come to us.)

Waiting is,

Dwarf