Mailing list subscriptions

With the recent discussion about debian-policy, I decided to refresh my
subscriptions to the diverse Debian mailing lists. So I went hunting for a
list of those lists.

After having no luck on the www site, I tried locate on master and found
/var/list. Fine so far, 42 lists there (somebody reading Douglas Adams
here?), I can generate subscriptions from that list.

Hmm, take out the digests. Undigestified versions are enough for me.

Oops, what's that? Debian-board? I guess I'd have another look and figure
out which of these lists are open for the general public ...

... except I didn't manage to figure that out. It sure *looks* as if every
single one of these lists will accept subscriptions from any odd user.

Well, I tried guessing from the list names, which I might of course have
gotten wrong.

The reason for posting here, however:

  First, I think an easy-to-find list of lists would be a good idea.

  Second, are those lists like debian-board really all open to everyone?
That can't be intentional, surely? Or ar they protected by some mechanism
I didn't notice?

MfG Kai