RMS on enforcing against Qt

From: Richard Stallman <rms@santafe.edu>

    We have an author who wants to enforce against his programs being linked
    to Qt. What if Qt becomes one of those standard system facilities? Can he
    still enforce against it?

The GPL permits linking a program with libraries that come with the
major components of the operating system.  So if a particular system
comes with Qt, users will be allowed to link with Qt *on that system*.
So in that particular case he would not be able to prohibit this.

However, this exception in the GPL has a negative exception itself.
Whoever makes this operating system can't distribute this program
linked with Qt as part of, or along with, the operating system.

This might be enough to mostly discourage the use of the Qt-linked
version, even if some operating system does start to come with Qt.

(I think it would be awfully sad if any GNU/Linux system started to
come with Qt, but after my experience with Suse, I would not put it
past them.)

     Can I enforce against my programs being linked
    to Windows libraries?

The GPL permits this, assuming these libraries come with the Windows
kernel or with the compiler that is used.  If it were not for this, it
would be prohibited to link any GNU program for Windows.

The original reason for this exception was to make it permissible to
distribute binaries of GNU software for the Unix systems of the 1980s.
Without it, linking Emacs with the non-free libc of a Unix system
would have been prohibited!

--
Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html