Re: qt license

problems with qt licence :

1) free redistribution
	ok with qt licence

2) source code
	ok with qt licence

3) derived work
	qt doesn't allow to distribute modifications or software that
requires modification of qt. we may ship our source with our diff's,
but they have to allow us to ship our binaires (it's not their official
rpm, so it's something modified (we have fsstnd paths, not /opt/qt)).

4.) integrity
	the licence doesn't talk about patch files (but i don't think
anyone can forbid to distribute patch files). the licence doesn't allow
to distribute binaries from a modified source (but they give us a
an ok after looking at our binaries).

5) discrimitnation
	qt may only used for non-commercial software.
i have no problems with that x11 restriction (hey : many other libraries
have only a x11 version). but restriction to non-commercial use violates
our standard (correct ?).

6.) dicrimintion (field of endeavor)
	qt may only used with x11.
i have no problems with that x11 restriction (hey : many other libraries
have only a x11 version), but it violates our social contract.

7) distribution of licence
	qt is ok.

8) licence must not be debian specific
	the ok we get for our modified binaries is debian specific

9) no contamination
	qt is ok.

problems summary :
a) no derived work allowed
b) no changed binaries allowed
c) only for non-commercial use
d) only used with x11

they could solve d) by removing the windows specific code from
distribution.

i'm not sure, if c) is a problem.
gpl allows commecial use : you may earn money with programming gpl'ed
software. is a support helpdesk "commercial use" ?

but a) and b) are problems.

we should tell troll our porblems with qt, maybe they don't know.

andreas
--
Find out how to avoid all those pesky crashes, lockups, application
errors, and slow applications at http://www.debian.org -- Debian can