Re: qt license

[about qt's license...]

RV> I think it's Identic to the License in 1.0. And qt has been made
RV> fit the free software needs only because they want to make qt a
RV> standard component of Linux/unix and open thus their way to
RV> commercial success.

IMHO they're trying to do the same netscape does. Netscape doesn't
give their navigator "free" for Linux because they're nice and respect
the free software movement. It's just because they know that if there
was no navigator "easily" available for Linux, someone would write a
clone. This clone would be easily portable to other unices and, using
the Cygnus stuff, also to win, where they get their money from.

Making it clear: what trolltec wants is to prevent the development of
a high-quality, highly portable toolkit. That's why they try to sell
the image of qt as a "free" toolkit, to keep us in a
pseudo-satisfaction. KDE, deliberately or not, is just helping them on
this.

If they recently changed their license, it was just because they've
noted that their license "make up" was not enough and they feel
threatened by projects like Gtk. Hopefully, when Gtk succeed, they
will give up with their restrictive license, because they will have
*no choice*. Well, they can die.

So, let us not be naive or short-sighted. Even Redhat is being
reluctant about qt. Debian should stand and take its position as a
free software project and not simply follow the wave, while it may
look tempting. This attitude will bring Debian loyal users and the
future will prove it right.

JMHO.

--
 Emilio C. Lopes <mailto:Emilio.Lopes@Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE>