Re: on the goal of debian

Bruce Perens wrote:

Gee, this kinda scares me.  I think I joined Debian because I thought it
was the best implementation of Linux, not because they were aiming for
100% free.  I am with Christoph in that I feel we can't go anyway as a
group if we lose sight of the concept of making a good, quality
distribution.  And hey, we also need to remember that we are just a
distribution of Linux.  And without Linux (and GNU), we would just be a
whole bunch of people twiddling their thumbs and emailing each other.

And remember that, while the KDE people might not be doing everything we
like, they are putting their effort into making Linux better -- and that
is enough for a handshake and round of applause in my book.

I could go on about this forever.  I guess what I am trying to say is
that I don't want us to lose track of the big picture.  Stand back and
look at Linux as a whole.  Linux made Linux so great because he was
trying to have fun and that he was trying to just make a kick-butt
product.  Can't we do the same and stop argueing so much.

BTW, I want to see these grand policies being quoted that are always
being quoted.  Is there a debian mission statement somewhere or is that
the Debian Manifesto I see lying around.  (sorry for the nerwbie
question, but hey, this is what mentors would be for...)

> > The goal of Debian is to provide a good and well done Unix distribution.
>
> Chris, you know this is a not the case. Repeating it won't make it true.
>
> The primary goal of Debian is to provide an _entirely_free_software_
> distribution. Everything else is secondary to that.
>
>         Bruce

-----
Brought to you by the letters P and N and the number 16.

Paul J. Thompson <http://thomppj.student.okstate.edu/~thomppj/>
<thomppj@thomppj.student.okstate.edu>