Re: on the goal of debian

From: Christoph Lameter <chris@waterf.org>
> The Social Contract explicitly states that Debian is driven by the needs
> of the users and the free software community. The free software community
> includes a variety of approaches to licensing not only the GPL or our
> acknowledged licenses.

When we say "free software" in the social contract, we mean "the set of
programs that pass all of the conditions of the DFSG". Note that the DFSG
is part of the social contract, and "100% free software" is item 1 of the
social contract. By Debian's definition, any one of those variety of
approaches that fails even one condition of the DFSG is _not_free_software_.

> It is not my goal to pressure anyone into Debian's ideals of free
> software. I am with the Debian project because I do want the best Unix
> distribution and nothing else. The free nature of software is secondary to
> that but naturally also an aspect of "best Unix distribution".

You are saying here that you have your own agenda which is explicitly
in conflict with the goals that the developers set for the project and
ratified in a vote. This is fine, but since you are in the minority you
should probably not expect us to do things your way any time soon. Of
course I trust you to not violate the project policies, regardless of
how you feel.

	Thanks

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502