Re: The "free software community" does not include Linus

> On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Alex Yukhimets wrote:
>
> > I completely agree with that. And I guess substantial number of
> > maintainers also agree. And please, don't tell me that
> > overwhelming majority voted for DFSG which proves I am wrong.
> > I myself also voted for DFSG by not for dogmatic approach to other
> > software. Our methods must be flexible for sure, but even our goals
> > should be flexible as time change lots of things.
> >
> > Bruce, if you noticed the reaction of Debian community was
> > mostly negative on you treatment of Debian+KDE thing.
>
> While I disagreed with Bruce's reaction, it was for very Dogmatic Free
> Software reasons that I disagreed! If you voted for the DFSG, then you
> voted for this dogma, as this is all that that document speaks to!

Well, Dale. This documents gives criteria for the software being
potentially portable, available, maintainable, etc. May be those criteria
could be less strict in some aspects, but that's different and negotiable
story.

> > Doesn't it give you a clue that this dogamtic politics is not
> > popular (anymore). And even if you will be elected, that doesn't mean
> > anything, unfortunatly we don't have a candidate from the "moderate"
> > wing.
> >
> If it doesn't mean anything to elect a Project Director, then what is the
> point of holding an election. It seems very disigenuous to vote for an
> idea and then declare that your vote doesn't mean anything.

May be you didn't understand what I meant, but the point was that even if
Bruce wins the elections by huge margin, it would not mean that the same
big majority which voted for him also voted for his dogmatic approach to
DFSG. In case there will only be two currently declared candidates, I
would vote for Bruce rather than for man who promises to sue anyone who
would try to link with Motif his code! Wonderful example of the software
being "free" if you can be convicted and lose your freedom for touching
it.

Dale, why don't you declare your candidacy? This would be really great.

Thanks.

Alex Y.

--
   _