Re: Debian needs you

In article <m0xRohP-00045lC@localhost> you wrote:

: Another question is our relationships with non-DFSG compliant software.
: Treating it as an enemy is plain *wrong*.

I completely agree.

:  And this is the most frustrating
: (for me) part of the dogmatic approach we happend to wittness recently.

Fair enough.

I think the problem centers around where on the continuum between "enemy" and
"equal" one chooses to place non-free software.  For me, it's somewhere in
the middle.  I do not actively antagonize those who write and sell non-free
software, but I will attempt to convince my family and friends to run free
alternatives whenever possible... and I am *firmly* convinced that free
software "is better than" non-free software.

I'm down to about three pieces of non-free software that I must depend on
heavily because they have no reasonable free alternatives.  If I had time,
I'd tackle writing a free replacement for at least one of them, but I don't
have time right now.  I'm trying as hard as I can not to build any more
personal dependencies on non-free software, life is too short to endure the
inevitable frustrations!

: And I still want to see Debian the same way: technically superior,
: highly available, and open. I only prefer healthy and a little bit
: more flexible approach in attaining these goals.

As long as the flexibility is an attitude/communications issue and not a
change in our fundamental policies and beliefs, I can live with that.

Bdale