Re: ownership of the Baby GNU

> "common law" means that if several of us agree that the `baby gnu' is
> a GNU trademark, then it is?
>
> If so, then "I agree that the baby gnu is a trademark of GNU by
>  common law if several others will also say so."

Linus Torvalds now owns the Linux trademark, even though Linus never
registered that trademark. It was registered a certain turkey
about three years after Linus first released a Linux kernel.
The turkey then wrote to Linux vendors insisting that they pay him a royalty.
The nice people at www.iplawyers.com proved, in a letter to the U.S. Patent
and Trademark Office, that it was actually a trademark owned by Linus.
They then got the turkey to give the trademark to Linus in exchange for
payment for what he had spent to register it. Had he been unwilling to relent,
they could probably have prosecuted for fraud in Federal Court, and he might
have served jail time. Look at their web site for more information.

	Thanks

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502