Re: The "free software community" does not include Linus

> Actually, I think it's very important for the Debian project to evangelize
> the use of free software such as the Debian system. I have publicly spoken
> out for Free Software many times, including my speeches at Linux conferences
> all over the world. I intend to keep doing so. I am not ashamed of the fact
> that Debian is free software, and it is important for Debian to lobby others
> to write and contribute more free software that can become part of the Debian
> system.

Only a few people seemed to comment on this issue, which is what I consider
the crux of the matter. It is one thing for Debian to relegate non-free
software to second class status in our distribution, but quite another
issue for an officer (especially the president) to publically denounce
a specific piece of software.

Officers should:
  Speak at public engagements and otherwise help publicize Debian.
  Lobby others to write and contribute free software.
  Differentiate between personal opinion and Debian policy.
  Sacrifice all their time and personal ideals for the good of Debian.
  (ok, this last isn't serious, but some people give the impression
  that this is the case).

Officers should not:
  Make statements as an officer, stating a personal view (even if held by
  most developers), when the actions of a person or company are completely
  within Debian policy.

We should never disparage software or companies that don't agree with all
our goals. Instead, we should simply work towards alternatives that better
suit us. It's generally better software anyway.

- Jay