Re: Debian needs you

Christoph Lameter wrote:

> Back the KDE situation: most of KDE is GPL except for that QT issue.
> Punishing KDE for QT is not good. Help them to find a replacement for QT
> rather than being negative about KDE.

I don't think it's a simple as that. From what I've seen speaking to
KDE people, they're more interested in working on KDE than doing
anything about their licensing problems with Qt. Since the GNOME people
are also more interested in working on GNOME than doing anything about
licensing problems with Qt, it seems pretty simple to just help GNOME.
They can reuse KDE, they can improve on it, and they don't need to
have some cleanroom implementation.

I don't think it's a good idea for the free software community to
go around using fixing messes like KDE based on Qt by cloning the
problematic bit. It would be much better if people made an informed
decision about licensing to start with.  We have enough legacy standards
and systems that we need to provide free alternatives for without
introducing (or encouraging) new ones.

I don't think anyone should punish KDE. But, I don't think we should
reward non-free software either. We should treat KDE with the respect
with which we treat any other package in contrib, and go try to actively
encourage something like GNOME.