Re: Why we do need Netscape [Was: Re: Debian needs you]

    ME: This might be a good use of the "reaction" list idea -- because
    ME: I think you're *completely* wrong.  This is because I, and some
    ME: other developers I know, don't *ever* run netscape -- frankly,
    ME: even if the current netscape were DFSG-free, I wouldn't run it
    ME: outside of a debugger [of course, if it were DFSG-free, I'd
    ME: probably be on the long list of people *improving* it.]

I run w3-el mostly--it's in usual situations working better than
Netscape, it's free with sources, and it's well integrated with Emacs.
However, I can't connect to our faculty administration server, because
it doesn't work with SSL and I have no time to correct it.  So I *need*
Netscape from time to time.

Until free Web server with all important functionality will be
available, some of us need Netscape.  If I understand well, it's what
`contrib' and `non-free' are for, they are not an official part of
Debian, but they use Debian lists, Debian ftp, and Debian maintainers.
I can see no problem with it, because I'm the one who needs to work with
computers, not just play with them, and I need non-free software
providing functionality, which free software lacks currently.  And I
think this my position is not a reason to abandon free software
development and use another distribution than Debian.

Frankly, I've forgotten what we are talking about. :-|
Clear sign this discussion is converting to flameware, the highest time
to abandon it. :-)

Milan Zamazal

--
"Having GNU Emacs is like having a dragon's cave of treasures."
                                                Robert J. Chassell