Re: giving money to gnome

Bruce Perens wrote:

> I told Martin that if KDE committs to give _all_ of the donatiions from
> the CD to FSF's "FreeQt" project, then we will too, and we'll give GNOME
> $1000 from other funds so that they are not disappointed.
>
> My concern is that KDE's committment to getting away from Qt is not
> sufficient. If they go for the above, that would change my mind. I
> don't really think it is likely.

I agree. I've spoken with a number of KDE developers and they
really don't feel any need to change toolkits (the "rescue" option),
or develop a free toolkit. They're reasonably happy with the license on
Qt, and would much rather develop a desktop environment than fix a
problem that they don't really consider a problem.

So your choices are
	- start a brand-new project that few people really want to work
	  on, which is a legal minefield
	- help on a project that is well underway, and has no legal problems.

I can't see much choice here. Like Bruce, if we see that the KDE people
are actually keen to switch to a free alternative, that's a good option
to persue too, but at the moment it sure doesn't look that way.

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #         Linux versus Windows is a