Re: New 'land' attack -- Debian immune.

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Sue Ann Campbell wrote:

> Added to the security pages. The hole is not explained well in the pages
> cited. If anyone has a short description of what the exploit is I'd
> appreciate it. 'security hole in IP code' just doesn't cut it.

Follow the link from http://slashdot.org to the 'press release'. It
contains the C source to the exploit and a list of vunerable systems as
well as:

--------------------
Date:         Thu, 20 Nov 1997 19:40:19 -0500
Subject:      new TCP/IP bug in win95

hi,

        i recently discovered a bug which freezes win95 boxes.  here's how
it works: send a spoofed packet with the SYN flag set from a host, on an
open
port (such as 113 or 139), setting as source the SAME host and port
(ie: 10.0.0.1:139 to 10.0.0.1:139).  this will cause the win95 machine to
lock
up.

        the piece of code included in this message does that, so...  have
fun!

        i haven't tested this bug on other platforms, i don't have the
ressources.  please feel free to do so.

m3lt
meltman@lagged.net
-----